Over/under betting tips overview
Betting on the amount of particular events in a game of sports being lower or higher than a specific margin is ancient. This is called under/over betting. When participating in this activity, you predict totals of goals, points, sets, and so on depending on the sport.
A significant type of under and over betting is goal totals. A gambler forecasts the number of goals scored to be higher or lower than a particular number, typically 2.5 in soccer.
There are three types of over/under tips based on their settlement:
- 0.5 totals
- 0.25 (or two-part) totals
- Square totals
There are two main submarkets of totals:
- Individual and team totals
- Period totals: soccer half, tennis set, basketball quarter, hockey period, etc.
On top of that, totals are often combined with outcome, goalscorer, and BTTS bets.
Read on to know more!
Under/over predictions explained
Over/under tips are bets on a particular event to happen more or fewer times than a given number. These predictions correspond to the regular time of a match (e.g. 90 minutes in soccer). The said betting market is universal, so the events in question may be goals in soccer and ice hockey, points in basketball, or sets in tennis. The professionals of Takebet South Africa also offer winning under/over predictions for betting on yellow cards, corners, free kicks, and other stats.
The most standard tip is a 0.5 total. For example, a total of under 1.5 goals in soccer or over 216.5 points in basketball. The former means that you will need from zero to one goal for your bet to win, while the latter sets the target of 217 or more points. Bets on a 0.5 total can bring you either a win or a loss. Such a punt cannot be refunded.
Asian under/over totals are the standard ones. However, many bettors call only those totals Asian that are either square (e.g. over two goals) or multiple of 0.25 (e.g. over 2.25 goals). You can also write the latter down as a two-part total: for example, an Asian total of over 2.25 goals is the same as a two-part total of over 2, 2.5 goals.
Square Asian totals get you a refund if the final number of the chosen events is equal to your determined total. So, for example, a bookie will issue a refund if a gambler bets on a total of over three goals in a hockey match, and there are precisely three goals scored.
Asian 0.25 totals (e.g. two-part totals) are two different total margins combined into one bet, where one half of a stake goes on one side of a bet and another half — on another side. Bookies settle both halves separately. For example, a total of over 1.75 goals in soccer is the same as 1.5, 2 goals. So, half of your money goes on over 1.5 goals, while the other half goes on over two goals. Then a bookmaker settles both halves separately.
Individual totals are about betting on a separate athlete or team in a match. For example, in tennis, a bettor can wager on a total of games or sets won by a particular tennis player instead of betting on a total number of games or sets played in a match.
Example of an individual total: you bet on the Los Angeles Lakers scoring over 116.5 points in a match against the Chicago Bulls. Imagine the Lakers scoring 118 points by the final whistle. In this case you would win your bet, given that 118 is more than 116.5.
Period totals are about betting on a particular phase of a sports game. In soccer, it is typically a half. In tennis, a set or a game. In basketball, a quarter. In ice hockey, a period.
Example of a period total: you bet on a set to span over 9.5 games in a Novak Djokovic vs Daniil Medvedev match. Djokovic wins the set 6:4. You win, too, thanks to 10 games played.
Over/under and win
Over/under and win predictions combine a standard total with a match result and allow you to stake on both simultaneously. Such an offer is a good gamble if there’s a clear favourite, which will multiply your odds. An example: over 4.5 goals and Colorado to win.
Both outcomes must come true for such a bet to win.
Over/under and anytime goalscorer (first/last)
The under/over total and anytime goalscorer option combines a regular total and a bet on a player to score. The same goes for the first and the last goalscorer. This bet is a popular one in soccer and ice hockey. An example: over 2.5 goals and Ronaldo to score a goal.
You must get both outcomes right for such a bet to win.
Over/under and BTTS
The under/over and both teams to score betting market unites a traditional total and a wager on either both teams scoring or not. This betting market is reserved mainly for soccer. An example: over 1.5 goals and both teams to score.
Both outcomes must come true for such a bet to win.
Accumulator predictions with over/under totals
Experts of Takebet South Africa offer accumulator over/under betting tips, which feature predictions for two or more matches. We drop soccer multibets and mixed-sport accumulators.
Even though parlay predictions are risky, their odds and payouts are always high. With little money, a sports bettor can win bigger than with a single bet. The odds of our accumulators go as high as 10.00 (9.00 American; 9/1 Fractional) and can be even higher.
Sports and tournaments with over/under tips
On top online betting sites, almost all sports feature tips on under and over totals of goals, pucks, points, and other units. On Takebet South Africa, we cover soccer, basketball, tennis, and hockey.
Major soccer tournaments with over/under betting tips include:
- UEFA Champions League
- UEFA Europa League
- English Premier League
- Spanish La Liga Primera Division
- German Bundesliga
- Italian Serie A
- French Ligue 1
- USA MLS
- FIFA World Cup
- UEFA Euro
- Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON)
Major tennis competitions with over/under predictions feature:
- Australian Open
- French Open
- US Open
- ATP Masters 1000
- WTA 1000 (Premier)
In basketball and ice hockey, the NBA and NHL are something we regularly cover.
Tips on goal totals are among the most popular in soccer. “Over” stands for the teams scoring more than a particular number of goals, while “under” stands for less.
The most used margin in soccer is 2.5 goals. That’s because, on average, teams score 2-3 goals in a soccer match. Other popular options include 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2, 3, 3.5, 4, and 4.5 goal totals alongside two-part Asian totals between the options mentioned above.
Example: you bet on under 2.5 goals in a Chelsea vs Arsenal match. If the game ends with a 2:1 scoreline, you will lose the bet because the total number of goals is three (2+1=3). Same if the teams score more. However, scores such as 0:0, 1:0, or 0:1 will get you a win.
In soccer, one can also bet on the total number of cards, corners, free kicks, and more.
Check out soccer over/under predictions (2.5 goals tips) on Takebet South Africa!
Tennis sets and games are typically used in over and under pre-match betting. Punters predict the number of sets or games to be more or less than a particular margin. For bo5 fixtures, a total of 3.5 sets is the basic one, and for bo3 matches — a total of 2.5 sets is the golden standard. As for game totals, the essential margin is 21.5 games for a bo3 fixture.
Totals are higher in top men’s tournaments such as Grand Slams with bo5 matches. Moreover, fixtures between top players are often lengthy and have bigger totals.
Example: you bet on over 21.5 games in a Novak Djokovic vs Rafael Nadal match. Djokovic wins the match in three sets with a score of 6:4, 2:6, 6:4. You win the bet, given the total number of games is 28. However, a win in two sets with a 6:4, 6:4 score would be your loss.
In tennis, there are also bets on stats such as totals of double faults, aces, and more.
Check out tennis over/under tips on Takebet South Africa!
The most common basketball predictions are for the number of points scored by both teams.
In the National Basketball League, a team usually scores over 100 points; both teams often go above 200. So, the standard margin for totals in the NBA is around 220.
Other basketball leagues average fewer points scored per game than the NBA.
Example: you bet on over 218.5 in a New York Knicks vs Golden State Warriors match. The Warriors win with a 120:110 score. You will win, too, because the aggregate total of points is 230.
Check out basketball over/under betting predictions on Takebet South Africa!
In ice hockey, a total of goals (or pucks) is essential. Hockey sees more goals scored in a match than soccer, especially in the National Hockey League. The standard margin is about six goals in the NHL, with both teams often scoring a little more or less than six pucks.
Example: you wager on over six goals in a Carolina Hurricanes vs Boston Bruins game. The Bruins win the match with a 4:2 score. In this case, you will get your stake back because the number of goals exactly equals your chosen total.
Check out ice hockey over/under predictions on Takebet South Africa.
How experts analyse sports for tips on totals
Experts of Takebet South Africa follow a few steps in analysing sports to predict totals. In team sports, the process focuses on exploring everything connected to the offensive capabilities of both sides, defensive vulnerabilities, and fitness of key players.
Let’s explore what data our experts use to bring you tips on totals:
- Goal-scoring stats and defensive records. Experts check out the number of goals the teams have scored and conceded in the last five to eight games in the same tournament, in all competitions, and in recent H2H fixtures. We research goals scored and the shot success rate, chances created, and rates of covering xG.
- Current team form and motivation. To confirm the trends we have spotted, our experts check the last results and ensure that the teams are motivated to play full force.
- Individual players. Any outcome results from team play, and any team is a group of individuals. Takebet South Africa checks out if all key players and partnerships are in place and likely to feature in the upcoming match to ensure teams will show their best play.
- Betting odds. After picking the bets we think are the most promising, we explore their betting odds to pick the one with the most valuable odds.
Under and over betting strategies
There are quite a few betting strategies focused on under and over totals in soccer, tennis, basketball, or ice hockey. Let’s cover some of the most prominent below:
- A strategy for an “under” goal total in soccer. Bet on “under” given one or more of the following circumstances: 1) in the last five matches, both teams have conceded less than 10 goals in total, 2) the average number of goals scored is less than 1.5 per match for each of the teams this season, 3) betting odds of winning are over 2.40 (+140 American; 7/5 Fractional) for both teams, 4) one or more top goalscorers are absent while top defenders and goalies are present, 5) there is a forecast of bad weather for the day: rain, snow, mist, shallow temperatures, etc.
- A strategy for an “over” goal total in soccer. Bet on “over” given one or more of the following circumstances: 1) over 60% of the games this season have ended with three or more goals for both teams, 2) the away team concedes over two goals per match on average this season, 3) the over 2.5 odds are higher than 2.40 (+140; 7/5).
- A strategy for individual game totals in tennis. Pick a clear favourite with the odds of under 1.20 (500; 1/5) on their win. Usually, a top player strives for a dominating victory with a 6-4, 6-3, 6-2, 6-1, or 6-0 set score: bet on their individual total to be “under” a particular margin. The higher the margin and the odds, the better. For example, you may find the odds of 1.80 on an individual total of under 12.5 games. If you lose, pick another game and multiply your stake to get a profit on aggregate.
More sports predictions to explore
We cover many other options in the betting tips on Takebet South Africa, too.
Explore the following sections for different predictions:
Aim at winning more with Takebet South Africa — bet on our under/over predictions now!