Florida Panthers vs Washington Capitals prediction and betting tips (May 5)
The Washington Capitals broke a streak of four losses in the first round of the play-offs. Also, they have won five of the last seven H2H fixtures against the Panthers.
Alexander Ovechkin was the best Capitals’ attacker in the regular season
by   Alex Weaver

The Florida Panthers vs Washington Capitals fixture in the 2021-22 NHL will take place on Thursday, 5 May 2022, starting at 7:30 p.m. ET. The kickoff time is 11:30 p.m. by GMT this day. The venue is FLA Live Arena, Florida. The Florida Panthers vs Washington Capitals (5 May 2022) prediction and betting tips can be found below.

Florida Panthers vs Washington Capitals latest odds on betting sites

The Florida Panthers are priced with the odds of 1.75 (-133 American; 3/4 Fractional) to win the next match in full-time, which equals an approximate probability of 57%. The Washington Capitals come with the odds of 4.00 (+300; 3/1) to take two points before the overtime. The chances of this outcome are approximately equal to 25%. The draw is priced with the odds of 5.15 (+415; 83/20), which equals an approximate probability of 18%.

The latest odds for Panthers vs Capitals (5 May 2022):

  • Over 6.5 goals — 1.90 (-111; 9/10)
  • Under 6.5 goals — 2.05 (+105; 21/20)
  • Asian handicap (+1.5) on Capitals — 2.00 (+100; 1/1)
  • Asian handicap (-1.5) on Panthers — 1.90 (-111; 9/10)

Florida Panthers vs Washington Capitals match preview and statistics

The Florida Panthers were first in the Eastern Conference with 122 points.

They were defeated by the Washington Capitals (2-4) in the first round. Andrew Brunette’s men made 10 shots on target and won seven face-offs. The Capitals were five minutes in powerplay and implemented it in the fourth minute. Tom Wilson opened the score with Anthony Mantha’s support. In the 18th minute, Sam Bennett leveled the score.

In the second period, the Florida Panthers made 10 shots, whereas their rivals made 14 shots on target, but did not score a goal. In the 21st minute, Brandon Montour helped Claude Giroux to score the second goal for his team. The Panthers had four minutes of powerplay, but they did not score some more goals during this time.

The Florida Panthers played well in the last period, but they were not able to score a goal. They made 12 shots on target, completed 16 defensive actions and won 71% out of 17 face-offs. Evgeny Kuznetsov and T. J. Oshie scored their goals in the 49th and 51st minutes, respectively. The Panthers removed the goalkeeper in the hope of equalizing, but they conceded one more goal in the last minute.

We have seen a total of under 6.5 goals in three of the last four matches with the Florida Panthers participating. The same total comes with the odds of 2.05 (+105; 21/20) this time.

The Washington Capitals finished the Eastern Conference last. They received 100 points in 82 games.

The Capitals lost the last game of the regular season against the New York Rangers (2-3). In the first period, both teams played equally. The Washington Capitals made 12 shots on target, whereas their rivals made 10 shots. Peter Laviolette’s men won eight face-offs and completed 20 defensive actions.

In the second period, the teams played aggressively. The Rangers and the Capitals made 13 and 12 shots on target, respectively. Also, they scored two goals each. In the 24th minute, Filip Chytil opened the score. Justin Schultz and John Carlson scored their goals for the Capitals in the 25th and 26th minutes, respectively, but Alexis Lafreniere leveled the score in 10 minutes.

The Washington Capitals made 12 shots on target, but did not score a goal in the last period. The Rangers finished one out of 10 shots on target successfully. In the 47th minute, Dryden Hunt scored the last goal with Kaapo Kakko and Adam Fox’s support.

The Florida Panthers have conceded four or more goals in four of the last five matches. The Capitals are priced with the odds of 2.70 (+170; 17/10) in this round.

Florida Panthers vs Washington Capitals H2H

Both teams have won two of the last four head-to-head games each. In the last H2H fixture, the Capitals made 38 attempts to score and won 25 face-offs. They completed 48 defensive actions.

The Florida Panthers made 32 shots on target and bagged two goals. They won 25 face-offs and completed 59 defensive actions.

Florida Panthers vs Washington Capitals lineups and key players

Florida Panthers projected starting lineup:

  • Sergei Bobrovsky
  • Gustav Forsling
  • MacKenzie Weegar
  • Carter Verhaeghe
  • Sam Reinhart
  • Jonathan Huberdeau

Jonathan Huberdeau was the third best forward of the regular season. He scored 30 goals and made 85 assists in 80 games of the 2021-22 season.

Washington Capitals projected starting lineup:

  • Vitek Vanecek
  • John Carlson
  • Marcus Johansson
  • Tom Wilson
  • Evgeny Kuznetsov
  • Alexander Ovechkin

Alexander Ovechkin was the best attacker in his team in the regular season. He finished it with 50 goals and 40 assists.

Florida Panthers vs Washington Capitals predictions and betting tips

The Florida Panthers were unlucky to lose the first fixture. They are not in their best form now. Andrew Brunette’s men have lost four of the last five matches and beat only the Ottawa Senators. In the last H2H game against the Capitals, the Florida Panthers played well, but their rivals were stronger. Peter Laviolette’s men look a bit stronger now. Asian handicap (+1.5) on Washington Capitals looks safe.

A total of over 6.5 goals has played out in eight of the last nine head-to-head matches. Also, The Florida Panthers scored the greatest number of goals in the regular season. We may see the same total this time.

Betting prediction: Asian handicap (+1.5) on Capitals

Odds: 2.00 (+100 American; 1/1 Fractions)

Betting prediction: Over 6.5 goals

Odds: 1.90 (-111 American; 9/10 Fractions)

Ice Hockey NHL . Over 6.5 goals
Florida Panthers — Washington Capitals

Not settled
Over 6.5 goals